The Owen County Dispatch Center is located at the Owen County Security Center at 291 Vandalia Avenue, Spencer, Indiana 47460.
The dispatch center employs 8 full time communications officers and is staffed around the clock every day of the year to protect and serve the community. Each communication officer is trained to answer 911 emergency calls, use IDACS/NCIC programs, input warrant and writ procedures, communicate Emergency Medical Dispatches (EMD), give CPR, and numerous other emergency responder trainings. The communication officers work either a 10 or 12 hour shift and work hand-in-hand with all emergency personnel in the county. They also partner daily with the correctional staff in the facility.
The communications center answers all non-emergency and all emergency 911 phone lines, and they dispatch calls received to the appropriate emergency responders. The communications staff provides a contact point for the Owen County Sheriff’s Office, Spencer Police Department, Indiana State Police, Gosport Police, Department of Natural Resources, Owen County EMS, ten volunteer fire departments, Owen County Rescue team, and numerous other agencies with public safety units. The Owen County Dispatch Center provides service to the entire jurisdiction of Owen County.
The Owen County Dispatch Center can be contacted at;
NON-emergency – 812.829.4874 ext 1
Emergency – 911
Please remember the following information is critical in calling for assistance from 911;
- Make sure the situation requires 911 assistance.
- Call if you aren’t sure.
- Dial 911 from any phone.
- Answer the dispatcher’s questions.
- Follow the dispatcher’s instructions.
- Follow through if you call by mistake.
- We can’t immediately tell where you are when you call from a cell phone.
- Don’t call 911 for the wrong reason.
- Don’t hang up until you are instructed to do so.
- STAY CALM – YOU MUST STAY CALM TO EXPEDITE THE ASSISTANCE REQUEST
Questions you can expect to answer when calling for assistance
- Your address or other details about your location
- Your phone number
- A description of what happened
- Clarification about who needs help (you, someone you are with, or a stranger)
- Details of the problem (e.g., whether or not an injured person is unconscious or bleeding)
- Whether you are safe or still in danger
- It’s all about finding the calm in the chaos
- Owen County Dispatch Center – we’re here when you need us